Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Time Away from our Family

These last couple of weeks I’ve felt somewhat put out by the demands on our family by Nathaniel’s schooling, which is compounded when so often our various church callings demand the only few remaining hours we have to be together. This week in particular I had hoped to spend more time together since next week we would be apart so that he could assist in the scout camp only to discover that I have meetings or responsibilities in relief society every evening of the week.

But this morning I read D&C 126 where the Lord tells Brigham Young, “it is no more required at your hand to leave your family as in times past, for your offering is acceptable to me. I have seen your labor and toil in journeying for my name. I therefore command you to send my word abroad, and take especial care of your family from this time, henceforth and forever. Amen.”

From this I realized that the Lord may at times make weightier demands of our time that seem to conflict with our responsibility towards our families, and part of the reason he may do so is to give us a chance to prove our devotion to him. Abraham was asked to literally sacrifice his only son for the Lord, not because the Lord did not value Abraham’s role as a father, but to give him a chance to learn absolute devotion and trust in the Lord’s will. Of course when he had proved himself both to the Lord and to himself, the command was revoked and he was able to continue raising his son, a duty and privilege which he no doubt regarded with a much deeper appreciation thereafter.

But just as it is with Brigham, the Lord who requires our time in his service will also provide the time and ability to care for our family if we will put our trust in him. And how quickly we forget that it is only by the grace and mercy of our god that we are able to continue in this life with our families, as well as have our children and spouses with us, and that such things can be lost in an instant as so many have tragically learned. Who are we to resent the time he asks of us when every moment we have on earth with our families is owing to his mercy. How we ought to rejoice over the time we have together, and give freely and gratefully of that small portion he asks of us, just as we do with our tithing.

1 comment:

Sara Lyn said...

Good thoughts. It makes me think of there is a time for every season... I think of my dad and how he was gone an awful lot when I was a child, but it was to take care of our family. I think of Morgan this summer, toiling away for 9 hours a day plus two hours of commute to wash windows in the hot Florida sun and getting paid a whopping $10 an hour. This is the same man who gets paid $40 for teaching piano, which is doing what he loves. But since everyone is gone on vacation, he's doing what he has to for our family. I've been feeling profoundly grateful for his sacrifices for our little family and his humility in being willing to do a job that some would call "beneath" him. He's willing to do whatever it takes. It's really been a time to count our blessings.